Camp Viola
About the Camp

About the Camp

Camp Viola is a private non-profit Christian organization founded by Miss Viola Burks. Miss Burks was the Director of the LaGrange Welfare Association which predated today’s Division of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS). She also was the organist and a Sunday school teacher at the First Baptist Church on the Square in LaGrange, Georgia. In 1928, Miss Burks purchased 180 acres near the community of Mountville, Georgia. Camp Viola was incorporated June 18th of that year. Miss Vi, as she was lovingly known, desired to provide a camp for children, at no cost to their families, that would give them the opportunity for outdoor activities and spiritual enrichment. Her legacy remains in the hearts and activities of many local churches and volunteers. In 1995, Mr. Charles Hudson, then Board Chairman of the Callaway Foundation, reached out to Twin Cedars Youth and Family Services, Inc. asking for that

organization’s expertise in developing and managing a camp for youth. Twin Cedars entered into a management contract that continues through today. As with many endeavors, without the support of invested partners, an organization’s mission cannot be successfully carried out. Troup County and LaGrange’s faith community, particularly the following churches; First Baptist Church on the Square, First Presbyterian Church, First United Methodist Church, Lloyd Presbyterian Church, Pilgrim’s Rest Baptist Church, Rosemont Baptist Church and Western Heights Baptist Church, have been stalwart in their dedication to Camp Viola’s mission “to construct, maintain and operate camps, playgrounds and recreational facilities for the promotion of the spiritual, mental and physical welfare of the children and older persons residing in Troup County and the adjoining territory.”